Thursday, February 7, 2013
White out conditions are expected as the storm intensifies.
What began as a blizzard watch for the Brookline area has now been upgraded to a blizzard warning. The National Weather Service issued the warning for the majority of Eastern Massachusetts Thursday afternoon, as it anticipates about 2 feet of snow to descend upon the area Friday into Saturday. "White out conditions are anticipated as roads become snow-covered by the Friday evening commute," the warning states. "Strong north-northeast winds are anticipated with gusts up to around 60 miles per hour, resulting in blowing and drifting of snow. Damage to trees and structures along with scattered power outages are anticipated." Residents can expect the potential of snow falling at 3-to-4 inches per hour and wind gusts of more than 20 miles per …
The Boston/Brookline area down to Providence could see 1-2 feet of snow on Friday into Saturday.
Wednesday, February 6, 2013
The Boston area down to Providence could see 1-2 feet of snow on Friday into Saturday.
The National Weather Service’s winter storm alert issued yesterday has been replaced with a “Blizzard Watch,” in effect starting Friday morning. “A potential historic winter storm and blizzard is expected to drop one to two feet of snow across much of the region Friday into Saturday,” the National Weather Service alert states. The watch affects much of eastern Massachusetts, including the Boston/Brookline area, as well as northern and central Rhode Island, and runs Friday morning into Saturday afternoon. Temperatures will be in the mid 20s. The National Weather Service is forecasting “heavy snow with the potential for blizzard conditions and accumulations of 12 to 24 inches.” Light snow is expected to develop by Friday morning, increasing …
The latest estimates from the National Weather Service warn of heavy snowfall on Friday into Saturday.
A major winter storm will move into the Boston area on Friday into Saturday, potenially dumping one to two feet of snow on Brookline this weekend. A weather service snowfall total forecast map released late this morning shows 14 to 18 inches falling in the Boston area. "A major winter storm will bring the potential for a foot or more of snow across much of the region Friday into early Saturday," said the winter storm warning from the National Weather Service. Light snow will develop on Friday morning, and snowfall will increase to become heavy on Friday afternoon then taper off on Saturday. "Deep snow accumulations are likely on untreated roads," according to the NWS. "In addition, strong winds may develop to create near blizzard …
Tuesday, January 22, 2013
The National Weather Service is predicting low temperatures in the single digits.
A snowy start to the week could herald more wintery conditions for Norwood, according to the National Weather Service. A Winter Weather Advisory is in effect through 7 a.m. Tuesday, with a chance of snow predicted through 10 a.m. Slick roadways and poor visibility are possible, as well as blowing and drifting of snow due to the wind and the light nature of the precipitation. The Tuesday morning rush hour is expected to be impacted across New England. Tuesday night through Thursday are predicted to be clear, but with temperatures between 1 and 18 degrees. A chance of snow is predicted again for Friday and Saturday, with limited accumulation. According to the Centers for Disease Control: When winter temperatures drop significantly below …
Wednesday, January 2, 2013
The coldest air of the winter is moving in on Wednesday, but expected to move out by the weekend.
The coldest air of the winter to date - by far - is moving in to Hamilton and Wenham on Wednesday. Windchills are expected to be close to zero on Wednesday morning and possibly below zero on Thursday morning, which will be the coldest day since last February. The National Weather Service said that Wednesday morning's low temperature would be about 10 degree and Thursday morning's low temperature will be about 7 degrees with a wind chill of -2 degrees. The windchill temperature on Wednesday morning will be near 0, according to WHDH Chief Meteorlogist Pete Bouchard in his most recent blog, because of "a steady (not strong) breeze." "And although Thursday morning is colder, there isn't a lot of wind," he said. "Sun will dominate the short …
Tuesday, September 18, 2012
Gusty southern winds could cause minor tree damage and power outages on Tuesday night through early Wednesday.
Wind gusts as high as 50 miles per hour are expected on Tuesday night into Wednesday, according to the National Weather Service. A Wind Advisory has been issued for 4 p.m. on Tuesday through 6 a.m. on Wednesday. The advisory extends across most of eastern Massachusetts, including Boston and Brookline, plus parts of Connecticut. Strong southerly winds of 20-30 miles per hour with gusts up to 50 miles per hour are expected along the coast. The strongest gusts are expected along the coast (presumably including Boston) between 7 p.m. on Tuesday through 6 a.m. on Wednesday. The winds will be strong enough to down trees and limb and could cause power outages, according to the weather service. The wind advisory was issued because either sustained…
Saturday, September 8, 2012
The National Weather Service issued a warning for powerful thunderstorms in the area for Saturday night.
The area could be hit by severe thunderstorms, warns the National Weather Service, and a Severe Thunderstorm Watch has been issued through 11 p.m. tonight. The storm could produce lightning and may knock down trees and take down power lines in Eastern Massachusetts. Stay tuned to Patch for further updates. Editor's Note: The thunderstorm warning is in effect until 8:30 p.m., while a thunderstorm watch remains in effect until 11 p.m. The above has been corrected.
Saturday, August 18, 2012
This weekend, are you going to need an umbrella or sandals? Find out before you head out.
No matter your plans this weekend, if you were thinking of staying in, getting out, or hunting for bargains, bear the weather in mind. The following comes from the National Weather Service report for Brookline: Saturday: Looks like rain. A 70 percent chance of thunderstorms predicted, tapering off to 30 percent in the evening. There is also a chance of thunderstorms, most likely between 8 a.m. and 11 a.m., with scattered showers and storms possible after that. High of 74ºF predicted, low of 61ºF. Sunday: Showers possible during the day and evening, 40 percent and 20 percent in the evening, heading toward a partly cloudy evening. The highs are predicted to be around 77ºF and lows near 60ºF. Don't forget to tell us what you thought was the …
Friday, August 10, 2012
Heavy rain, flooding likely with these storms.
Have outdoor plans for today? You may want to bring some rain gear. The National Weather Service is predicting showers and thunderstorms for later today, which could cause street flooding. Any storms that may develop could also be accompanied by strong wind gusts. There's even a chance for these storms to become severe with damaging wind. Residents can expect storms to start developing after 1 p.m. The forecast for Saturday isn't much better, as more storms with strong wind, and the potential for flooding are also possible.