A research assistant at Boston University spilled trichloroacetic acid on himself which touched off a building evacuation on Cummington Street, according to the Boston Fire Department.
Firefighters responded to 24 Cummington St. at 4:08 p.m. on Monday after receiving a call on a chemical spill. According to a department tweet, the research assistant spilled the acid on himself and then was able to decontaminate himself using equipment in the eighth floor lab.
The victim was taken to the hospital for further observation, and there were no other reported injuries at the lab. Firefighters did evacuate the building as a precaution while responding to the lab.
The university will handle the lab cleanup, according to the fire department. Cummington Street is a small street tucked away behind Commonwealth Avenue where Boston University houses many science, math, computer and engineering labs.