The following incident report is based on dispatch logs for March 16 through 18. Look for weekday incident reports twice a week, and arrest logs each Tuesday on Brookline Patch. Suspects are innocent until proven guilty.
Breaking and Entering, Theft and Larceny
- 100 Centre Street, larceny incident was investigated by police at about 1:30 p.m. Friday afternoon.
- 155 Harvard Street, Stop and Shop reported a shoplifting incident at about 3:30 p.m. on Friday afternoon. The subject was described as discheveled, and witnesses reported he was not carrying Stop and Shop bags, but the bags he had may have been from Trader Joe's.
- Friday, around 10:15 p.m., a Brown Street man reported that someone had broken into his car, parked on the street. A GPS unit was taken from the smashed side window.
- A caller reported that someone had broken into his home between 2 a.m. when he went to sleep and 7 a.m. when he awoke on Saturday, and he found items missing from his Alton Place home. There were no signs of forced entry.
- At around 1:15 a.m., police received a report of a live break-in near the 1200 block of Beacon Street. The caller reported that a man in a green hoodie was sitting on his bed. When police arrived, they heard glass shattering on the third floor, near the fire escape. Officers climed the fire escape, and went to the fourth floor, where the saw a man in a green hoodie on the edge of the bed there. He was bleeding, and appeared to be intoxicated. The man was taken to Beth Israel and treated for cuts on his hands. He was arrested and charged with breaking-and-entering, malicious damage, and trespassing.
- An officer monitoring the Coolidge Corner area noticed a vehicle traveling at a high speed through the Harvard Street intersection with Beacon Street--about 40 mph in a 30mph zone. The officer pulled the driver over, at about 2:30 a.m. Friday, the driver, reportedly smelled of alcohol and had bloodshot, glassy eyes. He was arrested and charged with driving under the influence of alcohol, speeding, and a marked lanes violation.
- People involved in a Corey Road/Beacon Street area crash were taken to the hospital, after 6:15 p.m. on Friday evening.
- EMS and a tow truck was requested at the scene of a hit-and-run accident, located at Boylston Street and Lee Street, before 11 p.m. on Friday evening. Witnesses say that a maroon minivan fled the scene, containing three women. Mass Highway Department was notified to clear debris from the roadway.
- Brookline Police received a call about 6 p.m., reporting a kidnapping. According to dispatchers, a subject described as a 30-year-old crossdresser had taken a 5-year-old child from Stanton Road. Police found the child with a babysitter on Lincoln Road safe and sound. Police are not commenting on the crossdresser detail, but report that the child was with his babysitter, and the caller did not recognize that babysitter.
- A Victorian home on Perrin Road suffered about $100,000 damage in a Saturday night fire, according to fire officials. One woman was displaced from the fire, which was on the second floor of the single-family home.
- Dispatch received a call about a suspicious person banging on a garage door on Pleasant Street just after midnight. An officer sent to the scene found a man kicking and hitting the door, yelling for someone to open it. The officer noted that his speech was slurred, and he smelled alcohol coming from the man. When asked where he thought he was, the man said Columbus Street in Boston, and that he was almost home. Witnesses reported being awoken by the banging, and one had blood stains on the sliding glass window. The man became agitated as the officer spoke to him, and was arrested and charged with disorderly conduct.
- A Bournewood Hospital employee reported an assault-and-battery incident which happened at about 4:30 p.m. on Sunday, at South Street. The employee reports that three patients got into a fight: a woman was using the phone, when a man approached her "aggressively," and she punched him. A second male intervened, in an attempt to restrain the woman. All three parties will be summonsed to Brookline District Court for assault-and-battery.