Talk about a yummy holiday! Today may be Tuesday, February 12, but more importantly it is the day to celebrate the wondrous dollops of batter for International Pancake Day (not to be confused with National Pancake Day, which is held on February 5). After informing your little ones of this holiday, and perhaps preparing a batch or two for them, check out these books with pancakes as their star!
1. Pancakes for Breakfast by Tomie dePaola: Using only the quaint and imaginative illustrations that made dePaola famous, this wordless story follows an old woman’s efforts to make pancakes for breakfast. Perfect for toddlers or anyone who loves the sight of a sky-high stack of flapjacks!
2. If You Give a Pig a Pancake by Laura Joffe Numeroff, illustrated by Felicia Bond: Sound familiar? Yes, the same women who brought you If You Give a Mouse a Cookie return with this alliterative homage to delicious pancakes! This book, which comes in a larger version for enhanced storytelling, is also an ideal match for younger children around ages three or four.
3. Mama Panya’s Pancakes by Mary and Rich Chamberlain, illustrated by Julia Cairns: This uplifting book, set in a Kenyan village, tells the story of Mama Panya as she prepares a pancake dinner, only to find out that more people have been invited than she expected! The patterned illustrations in this book will captivate both you and your little one long past the end of this scrumptious adventure.
4. Pancakes for Supper by Anne Isaacs, illustrated by Mark TeagueLions, bears, pancakes, oh my! Young Toby, who is suddenly catapulted into the forest from her family’s wagon, must encounter hungry predators and convince each of them that she is not worth eating. Naturally, the story ends with a delicious feast. Can your child guess how many pancakes Toby eats?
5. The Pancake Tree by Trenton Payne, illustrated by Jok Gervasio: Ideal for children above the age of six, Payne’s story of a young boy who embarks on a search magical breakfast tree is entertaining and enchanting – perfect for any child with a fantastical imagination! Gervasio’s illustrations are truly jaw-dropping with their detail and use of light, and will keep you and your children in awe until the very end.
Local Pediatrician Sentenced for Child Porn
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something