We're looking for local bloggers who can riff on various topics, share their personality and engage our readers in discussions.
Patch is more than a news site, it's an online conversation about your community.
- Are you passionate about Brookline's core issues?
- Are you an expert craftsman or hobbyist who can share do-it-yourself tips?
- Do you have strong opinions about local government?
- Can you just make us all laugh?
- Can you write compellingly?
Then we want to hear from you.
This isn't a reporting job. It's blogging. You write what you want to say when you want to say it. Do it on your schedule, whether that's posting multiple entries per day or a couple times a month.
Patch won't own what you post, so you can repost your entries to your other blogs. Much like The Huffington Post has done, Patch is providing local bloggers an online platform to have their words seen by a larger audience.
Be interesting. Be provocative. Be yourself.
My role as editor would be to review blog entries submitted to Brookline Patch to ensure quality. I may make small spelling, grammar and style changes to help your blog shine.
If you'd like to chat about the opportunity to share your unique voice with our readers, let us know by emailing PatchBrookline@Gmail.com.
What you Need to Know
- What It Takes To Be Relevant: We don't have a lot of hard requirements around what we're looking for in a blog outside of this: it's got to be interesting and relevant to Brookline residents, because they're Brookline residents. If residents feel more plugged into their community after reading it, you've hit the nail on the head.
- What Kind of Blogs We're Looking For: Well, just about anything, if there's a local hook. Got perspective on how the community's changed over the years? Want a place to showcase your cool photos from around town? Need a de-facto online newsletter for your community group? Got favorite recipes to share, or books to recommend? All of those sound like contenders to us.
- What We Consider Responsible: Opinions are awesome, particularly well-thought-out ones, backed up with facts. But personal insults, unfounded claims, free advertising and defamation aren't what we're looking for. When opinions get strong and contentious, it's not always clear where the fine lines are drawn, but we're more than happy to help guide you through those murky waters. And as long as your intention is to keep things above-board, we're happy to have you on the site.
- That We're Paying in Gratitude: Sorry, you might get fame, but not fortune, from your Brookline Patch blog. So here's the deal: We get the privilege of hosting your valuable views. You get to put them on a site that's increasingly (we hope) serving as a community hub, where more and more people will have the opportunity to discover them all the time. And since we're part of the Huffington Post Media Group, we may occasionally be able to put your submission in front of a huge audience. You can write as often (or as infrequently) as you'd like, though we'd love it if you can come back again and again.
- That You'll Have a Lot of Freedom: We see our coming blogs as a bit different than our staff- and freelancer-produced content—which is to say, we don't expect to do a lot of heavy editing. We'll be keeping an eye out for anything inappropriate, and trying to cultivate an atmosphere that's constructive, with a lot of diverse views aired in useful ways—but we're not planning to do a lot of line-by-line tweaking of your material. If we've got a serious concern with a submission, we'll let you know—but other than that, it's your words coming through, not ours.