1. Showers and rains today, according to the National Weather Service, a 100 percent chance of showers leading to a 90 percent chance of heavy rains. Temperatures should be between 60ºF and 67ºF.
2. Power up and switch on Dr. Doohickey's Monster Machine, and you never really know what comes out. 10:30 a.m. today, the Puppet Showplace Theatre will let the Doctor loose on his machines to bring the monsters to life. Tickets run $12.
3. October is Breast Cancer Awareness month. Coincidentally, William Raveis is hosting a Breast Cancer Fundraiser & BBQ (probably not a coincidence). Head over to 191 Grove St, (in Chestnut Hill) at noon for a lunch of burgers and hot dogs, and pick up a few raffle tickets--all proceeds are going to William Raveis' Breast Cancer Research Fund
4. The Brookline Arts Center is hosting an Art Opening for Gerald Shertzer's exhibit "Town and City" at 5:30 p.m. tonight. The local artist's work looks at the energy of a city and its spaces with a mix of styles. The presentation is free.
5. The Friday Night Lights Speaker Series at Temple Ohabei Shalom begins tonight with Rabbi Or Rose will lead us in an exploration of Abraham Joshua Heschel’s classic "The Sabbath" at 6 p.m. Stop in and check it out for free tonight.