1. The thermometer's climbing back down from our earlier heat alert-worthy weather. The highs today, according to the National Weather Service, will peak at 76ºF, and lows dropping to 57ºF. Otherwise, mostly sunny all day, partly cloudy at night.
2. Last night, the Islamic holy month of Ramadan began, meaning that from dawn to dusk today, Muslims around the world will fast from both food and water. According to the Huffington Post's piece on the holiday, the goal is "to purify oneself from thoughts and deeds which are counter to Islam." The month ends on Saturday, August 19, with a great feast.
3. The Boston Tap Company, Phunk Phenomenon, Cambridge Youth Dance Project, Tony Williams’ Ballet Rox are just a few people coming to show that Between 10 a.m. and 3 p.m., head to Franklin Park Zoo for introductory dancing lessons, face painting, art projects--even a chance to make puppets with the Puppet Showplace Theatre crew. Admission to the zoo is $17 for adults, $14 for seniors and $11 for kids.
4. is opening its doors for another at noon today. Bring your glasses and $35, and you'll walk out with the knowledge to make a popular style of woven leather bracelet. Pick the length and the stones, they will get you going.
5. At 2:30 p.m. today, . This singer, songwriter and guitarist is playing an hour-long set for free--they just ask that you RSVP so they can save you a seat: 617-243-9990. Head to Goldman's website to catch samples of his work.