Careless Disposal of Smoking Material Cause of Morning Fire
Firefighters battled an early morning fire on Washington Street.
Fire fighters responded to a 3:57 a.m. report of a two-alarm fire at 667-669 Washington Street on Thursday, November 29.
According to Brookline Fire Chief of Operations, Robert Ward, the fire was caused by careless disposal of smoking material.
“There was extensive damage to the basement and first floor,” Ward said. “There was also smoke and water damage to the second and third floor.”
Between 45 and 55 firefighters knocked the fire down in about 25 minutes, according to Ward. Firefighters chased hotspots in the walls for a brief period after. One firefighter was taken to the hospital for minor injuries. Ward said that he expected the firefighter to be released today. The building contained six residential units and one business in the basement.
Brookline Police officers responded to help evacuate residents. Police, the American Red Cross and the Community Emergency Response Team coordinated effort to set up a relief station at to the Brookline Senior Center at 93 Winchester Street. Fifteen residents were displaced, 10 of which were taken to the Senior Center.
Washington Street was closed off until 8 a.m
The Brookline Fire Department did not have an estimate of the cost of damage yet.