Great Escape: Learn a Thing or Two
The enormous catalog of courses at Brookline Adult Education is sure to contain a fitting escape for you.
Sometimes the desire to escape isn’t just about getting time out to relax. Sometimes an ideal escape is getting time to try something new. Sometimes an escape is one that challenges or enriches you in a new way—perhaps creatively, academically, physically, artistically, musically, culinarily, professionally, or culturally.
There are opportunities to do all these, or at least some, is just a click away at www.brooklineadulted.org. Brookline Adult & Community Education has offerings for a huge variety of interests. New classes start this coming week, so why not browse the site and see which classes are still open? Some classes are one-time events, while others meet up to twice a week for eight weeks. You are bound to find one that meets your schedule and tickles your fancy.
A sample of some BA&CE Spring offerings (check website for availability and pricing):
- Physical enrichment: Yoga, Strength Training, Rock Climbing, Fencing, Kayaking, Pilates and Dance (many kinds - including bellydancing!)
- Artistic enrichment: Painting/Drawing, Photography, Jewelry, Pottery, Writing, Acting, Comedy, Sewing, Knitting, Calligraphy and a lecture on Winslow Homer.
- Culinary enrichment: The Art of The Tart, Vegan Baking, Knife Skills, Perfect Risotto, A Walking Tour of Jewish Cuisine, Dazzling Dumplings, Homemade Challah and several beer and wine classes.
- Musical enrichment: Voice, Piano, Violin, Cello, Sax, Guitar, Trumpet, even hand-drumming.
- Personal Development: Attracting a Soulmate, Wisdom For Separated Parents, Adult Children of Alcoholics.
- Home Improvement: Interior design, Landscapes, Simple Home Repairs & Maintenance, Auto Repairs and Woodworking.
- Financial Development: Buying a Home, Debt Elimination, Retirement, Stocks and Investing.
- Professional Development: Real Estate Sales Person Course, Computer Classes, Grant Writing and Presentation Skills.
- Cultural enrichment: Language classes (currently 11 different languages plus ESL), Irish history, Native Americans in New England, Love & Romance in the Movies and A Walking Tour of Fisher Hill.
Brookline Adult & Community Education is the largest and one of the oldest non-credit public education providers in the state. Dating back to 1832, they have a long tradition of enriching the lives of Brookliners. Next time you need to getaway, think about taking advantage of this great resource in our community. And if you really do just want some time to relax? Sign up your family members for classes instead and get some time to yourself!
Full disclosure: The writer of this piece has at least three personal connections with people affiliated with BA&CE. The program has almost 1,600 courses yearly and employs many Brookline residents and business people.