Five Things You Need to Know Today: September 6
Several of Brookline's schools start today.
- The weather today is likely to be wet, according to the National Weather Service report for Brookline. NWS estimates a 90 percent chance of rain, with patchy fog before 11 a.m. In the evening, there is also a chance of thunderstorms, although only about a 50 percent chance of precipitation.
- With the tenth anniversary of the September 11 attacks drawing closer, Patch will focus on the town's perspective on it, and on a national dialogue. Look for pieces throughout the week, and if you have thoughts, please add comments, send a tweet or Facebook message, or e-mail Grahame.Turner@patch.com.
- Today is the first day of school for a lot of folks. Grades 1 through 9 are starting up today, and kindergarteners have the first half of their first day. Don't forget to send us your photos from back-to-school madness!
- If you live around Newbury College and thought you'd missed most of the move-in weekend madness, you may be in for a surprise: Newbury College's students are moving in today. It may be less hectic than "Allston Christmas," but you may still see some Uhauls nearby.
- You may recall Boston Children's Theatre for classics like "To Kill a Mockingbird" featured earlier in the year. If you're interested in starring in the next Children's Theater Project, registration starts today, at Jamaica Plain's The Footlight Club. It will cost $300 to get in.