Five Things You Need to Know Today: September 17
High holy services, Monday night football, and a puppet show, that and more to do in Brookline today.
1. Weather will be clear and sunny for today, but the National Weather Service says we may see some clouds and rain tomorrow, which may gather overnight--otherwise, the evening will be mostly cloudy. High of 75ºF, low of 57ºF.
2. You may already get our daily newsletter, and we're happy to have you as readers. Are your friends and family also signed up? If not, they may be missing out on the Brookline news of the day. Next time it comes up in conversation, send them to this page: Patch Newsletter, where they can sign up for free.
3. For those observing Rosh Hashanah, a free Kids High Holidays Services hosted by the the Chabad Chai center., as well as a High Holiday Services at Ballroom Veronique. Temple Ohabei Shalom is hosting their Erev Rosh Hashanah Service: A Sweet New Year service ($36), at 7:30 p.m. Know of other are services? Let us know in the comments.
4. Puppet Showplace Theatre presents a story you may already know. Jack and the Beanstalk, as performed by by Crabgrass Puppet Theatre, the story of magic beans, an enormous beanstalk, giants, and the goose that laid the golden egg. Show starts at 1 p.m., tickets are $12 (You can also check out their Puppet Shorts Class at 6:30 p.m., which costs $150).
5. For the first time since they played "Metropolis" in 2010, the Alloy Orchestra returns for the The Sound of Silents series with Blackmail. At 7 p.m., for $20, you can catch a rare 35mm print of Alfred Hitchcock's final film, about a London woman and her Scotland Yard boyfriend, with the accompaniment of the orchestra.