Five Things You Need to Know Today: May 8
Five things for Brookline today include a trip to the Montessori school, the Cradles to Crayons drive, free solar energy info and a new look at the media and beauty products.
1. Should be cloudy for part of the day, with a chance of showers (60 percent) mostly starting at around 2 p.m. As night falls, the National Weather Service says the chance of showers will increase to 80 percent--and possible thunderstorms. The highs should hit 58ºF and the lows, 53ºF.
2. Starting today, the Brookline Town Hall is hosting a Cradles to Crayons Clothing Drive during business hours. Bring in the clothes your kids have outgrown, lightly-used shoes, and baby items and bring them to the donation bins. The drive runs until May 18.
3. If you've been considering Montessori education, then today's a perfect day to find out more. Head to the Walnut Park Montessori School Visiting Day (200 Jackson Road in Newton). The tour starts at 9 a.m. sharp, followed by a Q&A with the head teacher that should get you out by 10:15 a.m.
4. Are you concerned about how the culture of media, and the huge sleection of beauty products may be affecting your kids? The Wellelsey Free Library at 7 p.m. presents "The Media and the Mirror: How Media & Beauty Products Impact Your Teen’s Health." The library is located at 530 Washington Street in Wellesley.
5. If you're looking to use the Sun's power around your house, then there is a Free Solar Energy Seminar at the Coolidge Corner Branch Library. Starting at 7 p.m., Sunlight Solar representatives will be talking about some of the rebates you can get for solar energy.