Five Things You Need to Know Today: May 16
Sit down with the DPW commissioner, get a kick-start for your home decor projects, or journey into subcultures.
1. Chance of showers throughout the day, may be some foggy patches before 1 p.m., a 40 to 30 percent chance of precipitation as the day progresses. The National Weather Service predicts highs of 68ºF and lows of 53ºF.
2. The School Committee is meeting today, and have a 6:15 p.m. start. Among other business, the Committee plans to recognize its Caverly Award Winners. The fifth floor of Brookline Town Hall, is the place to be if you want to participate.
3. All of your questions and thoughts about the Department of Public Works can be brought with you to the Evening with the DPW Commissioner. At 7 p.m., head to Brookline Town Hall if you want to have all of your curiosities about public works satisfied.
4. Perhaps you've been wanting to make some changes around your home, but are kind of lacking the inspiration. Fortunately, there is the Mix, Match, & Mingle: Home Decor Trunk show. Enjoy some light refreshments and check out the designs from Loom Decor. 7 p.m. at M. Flynn Accessories, located at 46 Waltham Street, Suite 208.
5. Brookline Booksmith is hosting two journalists who have explored some of the more fringe subcultures, in Journeys into Hidden Worlds Ft. Lizzie Stark and James Higdon. At 7 p.m., Stark will be talking about "Leaving Mundania," following the live-action role playing (LARP) world, and Higdon will be talking about the largest homegrown marijuana snydicate, in "The Cornbread Mafia."