Five Things You Need to Know Today: July 21
Big day for visitors: Winnie the Pooh, Governor Deval Patrick and Lawyer Jeremy Robin stopping in town on this hot day.
- Today is likely to be a scorcher, and an excessive heat warning has been given for the day. The National Weather Service predicts patchy fog before 8 a.m., followed by highs of 96ºF. The evening lows are predicted to be 74ºF. There may not be much rest, so make full use of the open pool and cooling centers in town.
- Governor Deval Patrick has scheduled a trip to town today. He will be meeting with people involved in the summer jobs program at Dana Farber Cancer Institute on Brookline Ave around 10:30 a.m. After that, he heads to Westport to continue his Summer Conversations tour.
- Pooh in the Park at Putt begins at 12:30 p.m. today. This is when the Putterham Branch Library opens its doors to head outside. Bring your lunch, and enjoy a story out under the sun. This is free, and open to kids (and kids at heart).
- If you love animals, you may also love Party Animals. Tonight, at 6:00 p.m. is the annual MSPCA fundraising party, which takes place at the Bank of America Pavilion: 290 Northern Ave, Boston. Spend an evening at the harbor, supporting the programs of facilities like the Angell Memorial Hospital in neighboring Jamaica Plain.
- Did you know there's a laywer inside of you, waiting to be let out? Author and Lawyer Jeremy Robin seems to believe there is. At the very least, he feels his book, "The Lawyer Within" will stimulate the mind. Come and meet both Robin and your internal lawyer at the Brookline Booksmith tonight at 7 p.m.