Five Things You Need to Know Today: July 18
Get to know a dancing pig, and FBI agent, the Community Aging Network, and a thousand jumping monkeys.
1. The Heat Alert the Brookline Health Department issued yesterday is in effect through the rest of the day, although the National Weather Service tells us it may be a bit cooler: 93ºF highs and 69ºF lows. To make it more interesting, they also warn us of a 50 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms, mostly after 11 a.m.
2. Gwendolyn and Omar really want to do ballet and join a football team (respectively), but the fact that they are pigs may make that a challenge. That's the story of "Gwendolyn the Graceful Pig" and she will Dance at the Brookline Libraries this afternoon. Stop by Brookline Main Library at around 2:30 p.m. to catch the author, this show, and a little dancing lesson all for free.
Bring cameras, and post some photos here!
3. Tonight, Brookline Senior Center hosts the BrooklineCAN Member Reception, which is also a great chance to learn more about the program, 5 p.m. Please RSVP by call 617-730-2777, email firstname.lastname@example.org, or visit the website at www.BrooklineCAN.org. Not familiar with Brookline Community Aging Network? Check out our video from last year.
4. The Brookline Summer Concert Series continues tonight at Emerson Garden, with Vanessa Trien and the Jumping Monkeys (who also have a new CD coming soon). They take the stage at 6 p.m., and the shows are, as always, free!
5. Ever wondered what it would be like to hunt down a wanted fugitive? The person to ask is John Gamel, when he presents "My Life in the FBI" at Goddard House in Brookline Assisted Living at 7 p.m. tonight. He will tell the story of searching for Whitey Bulger through photos, items and his personal tales. Call ahead to RSVP: 617-731-8500.