Five Things You Need to Know Today: January 5
Today is a new day! Learn about why that intrigues you, catch "The Help," or get closer to your animals today in Brookline.
- The National Weather Service promises a warmer day than yesterday: mostly cloudy, gradually becoming sunny in the afternoon, with increasing clouds in the evening. High of 38ºF with a low around 24ºF.
- Coolidge Corner Branch Library, is showing "The Help," (which topped Brookline's Top Movie lists for two weeks) today. They're serving refreshments at 1 p.m., and starting the show at 1:30 p.m.
- Guess what's back! That's right, the Brookline Community Blood Drive. Starting at 1 p.m. today, the Brookline Main Library is hosting a blood drive. If you need a little more incentive, they are also giving away Dunkin Donuts coupon for free coffee too.
- Are you the type of person who really can't stand things staying the same for too long? How about running out to pick up the latest gadget? Winifred Gallagher, author of "New: Understanding Our Need for Novelty and Change" and Atlantic and Rolling Stone writer will be talking about her book, about what makes us do that, and about how to make that work for us, in our ever-changing world. 7 p.m., you'll want to be at the Brookline Booksmith, or you'll miss it.
- People sometimes say that pets begin to look like their owners. First Parish In Brookline is taking that to the next step with their Animals Are Us: Interconnection for the 21st Century series. It starts off tonight at 7:30 p.m. and continues on Thursdays for the rest of the month.