Five Things You Need to Know Today: August 8
Magic soup, dancing pigs, a sunset walk, and the launch of Hubway's bike sharing network. Experience a little magic today.
1. The National Weather Service informs us that temperatures will peak at 86ºF and hit bottom at 71ºF. Otherwise, it should be partly sunny, although a chance of patchy fog before 8 a.m. and a partly cloudy evening.
2. If you've been paying attention, savvy would-be bikers of Brookline, then you know that today Brookline Town Hall hosts the first part of a rolling Hubway Launch Party. Starting at 9 a.m., Selectman Jesse Mermell and other town officials will cut the ribbon on one of the two Hubway stations currently set up in town. Another is coming in Brookline Village, and a fourth still to be placed.
3. Pour yourself a big bowl of Magic Soup, and enjoy some Other Stories by Brad Shur. The show runs today at 10:30 a.m. and 1 p.m., at the Puppet Showplace Theatre, and tickets are $10. Can't make it to today's showing? It's running tomorrow and throughout the weekend.
4. The pig who wants to do ballet Gwendolyn the Graceful Pig Dances back into town. Some dancers, some dancing lessons, and Omar--Gwendolyn's friend who wants to be a football player--are all coming to Coolidge Corner Branch Library this afternoon. It starts up at 3 p.m., and bring your cameras.
5. The Chestnut Hill Reservoir is a beautiful place for a walk. Learn a little more about it during a Landscape Walk n' Talk with Marion Pressley, which sets off from Waterworks Museum (2450 Beacon Street) at 6 p.m.