Five Things You Need to Know Today: August 17
Brookline five things
1. The National Weather Service is predicting a bright day for Brookline: 87ºF highs and mostly sunny. The evening, however, will be mostly cloudy and have about a 50 percent chance of showers, possibly thunderstorms.
2. The deadline for voter registration, for those who intend to cast a vote in the September Presidential Primaries, is today. If you don't intend to participate, then don't worry about it. But if you do, head down to Town Hall. For the Presidential Race in November, the deadline is Oct. 17. See the Secretary's website for more information.
3. Village Green Renewal, wants to bring the light back into your home. They are starting Lamp Repair Week, and giving you 25% Off on any broken light sources. Check out the shop while you wait, and an expert will get your lamp back in working order.
4. The Highland Street Foundation is at it again, offering you Free Fun Fridays at the Institute of Contemporary Art. That's the one at 100 Northern Avenue in Boston. Head down there to explore their collection, and get in for free.
5. Can I tell you about "My Awesome/Awful Popularity Plan"? Well, let's leave it to the author, Seth Rudetsky, who is coming to the Brookline Booksmith, this afternoon to do just that. Starting at 4 p.m., actor and musician Rudetsky will tell you about his novel, following a young outcast who wants to date the hottest boy in school and join the in-crowd, despite the obstacles of being unpopular and the boy being straight.