Five Things You Need to Know Today: July 17
Weighty words, fine reviews, a sample of Shabbat, and aspiring actors: Five Things today.
1. The National Weather Service is predicting a scorcher: peak temperatures 99ºF and hot, partly sunny. The evening will bring a mostly cloudy night and 77ºF lows.
2. As you may recall, the Best Of Readers Choice poll is coming back soon. Come back next week to vote, but also tell your friends and neighbors how much you like the various places in our directory by leaving a review.
3. Song, stories and challah. That's what you can expect if you head into Magic Beans at, say, 2 p.m. today. If you're there, you'll run into 'A Taste of Shabbat' Storytime (which you can join, it's free and fun for kids 0-5).
4. Be a summer star, and register for the Brookline Theater Arts Program Registration. Song, dances, and work on an original composition. Their second session started yesterday, the third begins on July 30. For more, head into or call up the Lincoln School today.
5. Learn what "The Mere Weight of Words" is. Two local authors are heading to Brookline Booksmith for A Night of Weighty Words: Carissa Halston & Jill McDonough. Halston's "Words" is about an estranged father and daughter coming to terms with his Alzheimer's. McDonough's "Habeus Corpus" is a collection of sonnets about famous executions.