Chemical Spill Reported at Beth Israel Hospital
The Boston Fire Department Hazmat team is responding to a chemical spill in the basement at Beth Israel Hospital on Wednesday afternoon.
The Boston Fire Department is responding to a chemical spill in the basement of the Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center.
Boston Fire reported its hazmat team was called to the Feldberg Building at 330 Brookline Avenue at 11:30 a.m. on Wednesday for a call of an Ethylene Oxide leak in the basement.
Ethylene oxide is a flammable, colorless gas that smells like ether at toxic levels, according to the Occupational Safety and Health Administration. It is found in the production of solvents, antifreeze, textiles, detergents, adhesives, polyurethane foam, and pharmaceuticals, and smaller amounts are used to sterilizatize surgical equipment in hospitals.
In large amounts, exposure to the chemical can cause to eye pain, sore throat, difficult breathing and blurred vision. Exposure can also cause dizziness, nausea, headache,convulsions, blisters and can result in vomiting and coughing.
Follow Brookline Patch on Twitter and Facebook for more updates.