Brookline's Top Political Stories of 2011
What have politics in Brookline looked like in the past year?
- President Barack Obama in Brookline Tonight – May 18, 2011 – Following a fundraiser in the South End, President Obama came for dinner at the home of Jack Connors, in South Brookline. Although the police weren't giving out information about road closures, sightings came in by Twitter.
- Newton's Robinson Leaving Senate Race to Run for Congress – Dec. 15, 2011 – Herb Robinson, a contender for the Senate seat currently held by Scott Brown announced earlier this month that he was dropping out of the race, to run for the seat Barney Frank will vacate in 2012 (see next story).
- Barney Frank: Changes in District Were a Factor in Retirement Decision – Nov 28, 2011 – The 4th District Congressman announced at the end of November that he planned to retire, in part because the changing districts meant a more difficult re-election campaign.
- Elizabeth Warren: "I'm going to do this" – Sep 14, 2011 – Coming into the Senate race comparatively late, Elizabeth Warren announced her plans to take Scott Brown's seat in the election.
- Alan Khazei Drops Bid for Senate Primary – Oct. 27, 2011 – Khazei pulled out of the primary, saying that it was time for him to drop out of the race, and congratulating Elizabeth Warren on "striking a chord with voters" since her announcement.