300 Evacuated Due to Gas Odor in Art Institute New England
Brookline school evacuated because of gas fumes this morning.
Approximately 300 students and staff members were evacuated from the Art Institute of New England about 9:40am after fumes from a gasoline powered steam cleaner entered the HVAC system spreading through out all 6 floors. Deputy Chief Keith Flaherty reported Firefighters used positive pressure ventilation fans to clear the fumes and that no damage resulted not were any people injured.
The building remained evacuated for about 90 minutes causing occupants to be out in the raw and damp weather. The Brookline Health Department was notified and responded to assist with checking air quality before allowing the building to be reopened.