Puppets at Night 2012-2013 Season Opens with Fairytales for Grown-ups
Puppet Showplace Theatre presents “The Puppet Showplace Slam: Grown-up Fairytales Edition” September 15 at 8:00 pm. The slam features over a dozen short, entertaining original works of puppetry, mask, and object theatre created by artists from across the New England Region. The slam is a “Puppets at Night” adult evening event and draws its theme from the theatre’s annual “Fall Fairytale Festival,” running September 1 – October 14. Tickets: $15 general; $13 students and PST members. Puppet Showplace Theatre is located at 32 Station Street, Brookline, MA 02445 at the Brookline Village T-Stop. Tickets may be purchased by calling the PST Box Office at 617-731-6400 or online at www.puppetshowplace.org/slam.
The “Grown Up Fairytales” performer roster includes:
- A digital Fairy Godfather puppet, designed by PST Artist in Residence Brad Shur, that will co-host the show with local actor Phil Berman;
- A retelling of Cinderella by professional zookeeper Jake Schachter AKA Puppet Master Jake, set in the time of the dinosaurs and involving an inter-species foot fetish;
- “The Golden Stoat,” an original bawdy comedic fairytale by Nicola McEldowney set in the Groin region of France and featuring a large cast of mouth puppet characters.
- “The Fairy Wife,” a fantasy on love, magic, and difficult choices written by local playwright John J. King.
…with special guest artists:
- Storyteller Norah Dooley of massmouth, inc.,
- Harpist Petaluma Vale and Cellist Valerie Thompson performing original “enchanted folk pop” songs about Rapunzel and Little Red Riding Hood.
The Puppet Showplace Slam is an evening of short varied theatrical mini-plays for adults that use (or sometimes abuse) puppets for all or part of the drama. Each piece is performed by a different artist or artists, and the content can be wide-ranging: some are elegant or poignant, others are satiric, irreverent, or humorous, and still others can be passionate, political, or spiritual in nature.
Future Puppet Showplace Slam Dates!
2012: Nov 10 at 8pm
2013: Jan 19, March 9, May 18, July 20 at 8pm
Puppet Showplace Theatre is an award-winning non-profit performing arts organization committed to excellence in puppetry as a theatrical experience that educates, enlightens, and entertains audiences of all ages. Established in 1974, PST is the first and only year-round dedicated puppetry presenter in New England.
For more information about Puppet Showplace Theatre, contact Brenda Huggins at 617-731-6400 x 201 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Puppet Showplace Theatre is wheelchair accessible and located opposite the Brookline Village T station on the Green D Line, which is barrier free and accessible to all children and adults. Call the PST Box Office for more information and to purchase show tickets: 617-731-6400 or purchase tickets online at www.puppetshowplace.org.
This organization is funded in part by grants from the Massachusetts Cultural Council and the New England Foundation for the Arts.
Media Contact : Brenda Huggins
617-731-5400 x 201
[High-res digital images available]