Brookline Emergency Management Team Announcement: Guide for Residents During a Storm
When a hurricane is likely in the Brookline area, these are the steps to follow before the storm:
- Listen to local t.v. or radio
- Stock the following items at home: bottled water ( 1 gallon per person per day) canned goods and non-perishable items ( that do not need to be cooked), manual can opener, cash, prescription medication ( 2 week supply), pet food for pets, flashlights, batteries
- Secure your home and any objects outdoors ( patio furniture, umbrellas, etc which can cause serious damage in strong winds)
- Turn the refrigerator to the coldest setting and avoid opening doors frequently in case of power failure later
- Turn off utilities if instructed by utility provider to do so.
- Ensure a supply of water for cleaning and flushing toilets. Purchase bottled water.
- Residents who have town recycling or solid waste pick-up, do NOT put trash pick-up out until Monday morning due to the storm.
What to do during the storm:
- Continue to listen to the t.v. or radio for updates or important announcements
- Stay indoors, away from glass doors or windows
- Close all interior doors and secure and brace exterior doors.
- Keep curtains and blinds closed. Do not be deceived if there is a lull, it could be the eye of the storm and winds could become heavy again.
- Take refuge in a small interior room, closet or hallway on the lowest level. Lie on the floor under a table or other sturdy object.
- Avoid flood-waters; water may be contaminated by oil, gasoline or raw sewage. Water may also be electrically charged from underground or downed power lines.
- Stay away from downed wires and report them to the power company right away. Avoid using the phone, except for serious emergencies.
Please check the website for other announcements regarding the storm: www.BrooklineMA.gov